Hiking is a tough activity. Walking over rough terrain, climbing up hills and traversing through unknown obstacles can take it out of you. Having the proper fuel with you can help you make it to the perfect spot. Here are a few recipes that make great snacks for hikers by providing you with energy to get you over that next hill and where you need to go.
Jo-Ann’s Power Bars
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Line a 9 inch square baking pan with aluminum foil. Spray the foil with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, stir together the oats, flour, cereal, and cinnamon. Add the egg, applesauce, honey, brown sugar, and oil. Mix well. Stir in the sunflower seeds, walnuts, and dried fruit. Spread mixture evenly in the prepared pan.
- Bake 30 minutes, or until firm and lightly browned around the edges. Let cool. Use the foil to lift from the pan. Cut into bars or squares, and store in the refrigerator.
Jo-Ann’s Power Bars (n.d.)
Retrieved from http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Jo-Anns-Power-Bars/
Peanut Butter Banana Protein Bars
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Spread oats out onto an unlined baking sheet in a thin layer, and toast until lightly browned, about 10 minutes; remove and allow to cool. Mix together the cooled oats, protein powder, whole wheat flour, and flax seed until thoroughly combined, and mix with peanut butter and honey. Mash the bananas into the mixture, and stir to combine. Press the dough down onto the parchment-lined baking sheet in a 1/2-inch layer.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the edges of the dough are golden brown, about 15 minutes; cut into bars while warm, and allow the bars to cool. Wrap bars in plastic wrap, and refrigerate until ready to use.
Peanut Butter Banana Protein Bars (n.d.)
Retrieved from http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Peanut-Butter-Banana-Protein-Bars/
No-Bake Protein Bars
- Line a 13×9-inch baking dish with baking parchment.
- Mix oats, flaxseed meal, raisins, cranberries, and protein powder together in a small bowl.
- Combine chocolate chips, honey, and peanut butter together in a microwave-safe bowl; heat in microwave oven, stirring every 30 seconds, until the chocolate chips are nearly melted, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir oats mixture with the chocolate mixture until evenly mixed; spread into prepared baking dish.
- Refrigerate bars until hardened, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove bars from dish by lifting parchment; cut into squares using a pizza cutter.
No-Bake Protein Bars (n.d.)
Retrieved from http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/No-Bake-Protein-Bars/